Neighbour, Isom still limited as UALR preps for fall practices

BURN THE HORSE
Mareik Isom


As UALR wrapped up summer workouts this week there were three players not fully participating in drills.

Freshman guard Kemy Osse was the only player not here during the summer. He’s expected to arrive when players report back for the fall semester.

Junior Will Neighbour is still recovering from shoulder surgery. He has been able to participate in conditioning and shooting drills, but has sat out when contact drills are going on.

“The recovery is coming really good right now,” Neighbour said. “I’ve been working everyday with [trainer Michael Switlik] and [strength Coach John Barron]. Right now, I’m just getting a lot stronger. I can’t do contact for another two to three months. But I’ve been shooting and doing everything I can. It’s starting to feel good and stronger than it’s ever been before.”

More perplexing is freshman guard Mareik Isom, who has had to miss workouts due to a sleeve fracture of the patella in his knee. At this point he has to stay off of it and hope for the best, but it does put his 2012-2013 season in doubt if it doesn’t heal properly.

“I’ve got to wait for something to close up near my tendon so I won’t need surgery,” Isom said. “The plan is to still go. But the worst-case scenario is that I have to get surgery when we come back from break. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. Hopefully they’ll clear me.”

Isom is a 6-6 guard who averaged 16.5 points last year for Austin (Texas) Bowie High School, where he was named all-district, all-region and to the All-CenTex team.

Fall classes begin Aug. 23.